Saturday, September 12, 2009

Budding Shutter Bug

I'm pretty sure I first caught "the bug" when my husband, then boyfriend, bought me my first digital camera just a few weeks into our relationship.  I was leaving to study abroad in Latin America, and he realized even before I did that I would need a pocket-sized camera to document my journeys.  That PowerShot served me well, and when it was stolen from my car two years later, I replaced it with another just like it (only the newer model, of course).  I quickly became known as the girl who takes pictures of everything.  Anyone who has spent any amount of time with me over the last 5 or 6 years knows that my camera is more often glued in my hand than tucked away out of reach.

I love taking photos.  I love looking at other peoples' photos. I love the functionality of photos - they serve as my memory since I have such a poor one.

But up until today I scraped by with a miniature point-and-shoot digital camera with only preset capabilities.  Today, after hours and hours of research over the past weeks, years of yearning for a camera with guts, and a lot of support from the hubby, I bought my first real camera.  He's a Nikon D90 and I'm in love.  I'm still trying to name him (any suggestions?), but of this I'm sure... he's going to be my "other lover" for the foreseeable future.

This blog will be dedicated to my journey as a photographer.  I use that term loosely, but also with purpose.  I choose to call myself a photographer even though I'm nowhere near the kind of photographer I aspire to be some day.  But as I learned from Jonathan Mead over at Zen Habits, the world needs me to do what I love.  And I love photography.  I am a photographer, though just a bud of one.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Good for you!
    As for names.....I suggest something trusty yet distinguished--like a good assistants name because let's face it--this new friend is your assistant.
    Some suggestions
    Charles (British accent of course) ;)
    Randolph
    Abraham
    Albert
    Hamilton

    I may have other possible suggestions after I SEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - please leave me a comment!